Monday, June 27, 2011

I feel like black Americans and Africans for the most part really make a point to separate oursleves.

like, I know personally, I identify with being black American instead of African American because I don’t feel African at all.

and like, I know before I visited Senegal, I thought I was more an African American. but after being there and staying with my home-stay family, I realized that I’m not African at all, and that’s cool. like, it is what it is. being there helped me recognize and accept my Americaness.

and Africans and black Americans are really different, like kinda obviously through our cultures and everything.

but Idk, like, when I was with my home-stay family in Senegal, I felt a like, spiritual connection with them that I thought was rooted in our deep, shared ancestry.

but who knows what it was I felt.

I just find it interesting that we stress our differences so much, maybe to break down stereotypes and whatnot, but when I was in Senegal I felt similarities that couldn’t be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment