Thursday, June 23, 2011

One more Senegal picture for today (and I’m actually in...



Senegal drops new law amid protests

The Sengalese president has dropped a controversial electoral law amid opposition protests in the capital, Dakar, on Thursday.

Opponents of 85-year-old Abdoulaye Wade criticised the bill, saying it would allow him to easily retain power in next February’s presidential elections.

The current law requires that a candidate be elected with a 50 per cent majority in the first round of voting to avoid facing a run-off.

Al Jazeera spoke to Abir Saksouk-Sasso, a witness to the protests in Dakar

The draft law would reduce that number to only 25 per cent and create a position of vice-president, leaving Wade’s rivals concerned that he has plans to bring his 42-year-old son, Karim, into power.

Justice Minister Cheikh Tidiane Sy told lawmakers debating the bill that the president had “taken into consideration your concerns,” adding to applause that “he asked me to withdraw the draft legislation,” the AFP news agency reported.

Outside parliament and around Dakar, protesters took to the streets voicing outrage of the proposed bill.

Private television stations in Senegal showed footage of Thursday’s protests against the president in cities and towns elsewhere around the West African nation.

Witnesses told Al Jazeera that police fired tear-gas and water cannons at thousands of protesters chanting “Leave Wade” and “Don’t touch my constitution” around the parliament and presidential palace in Dakar.

Several people were injured when crowds clashed with police, according to reports.



I think I’m going to do a little bit of Senegal spam.  Sorry for anyone that isn’t interested.  Senegal is probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.  Senegal has such an interesting culture, and probably some of the nicest people I have ever met.



More on Senegal:  After talking to almost anyone, of any religion, they would usually say that they would pray for you. For your happiness, for whatever ambition you may have just mentioned, whatever.  I’m not religious, and I would actually consider myself agnostic, but I just found this so amazing, and it always made me feel good.

This is a fort on one of the islands off Dakar.



One more Senegal picture for today (and I’m actually in this one!):

I loved how Senegal’s landscape would change so drastically in such a small area.  We went from the urban city of Dakar, to the nature reserve, to the Pink Lake (the water appears pink because of the salt content of the lake), to this area, which seemed like the middle of the Sahara, but was actually only a few yards from a gorgeous, completely deserted beach with the most amazing, misty blue coastline.

No comments:

Post a Comment